Saturday, March 19, 2011

Why I'm not a genius

I do some stupid things.
  1. Ran around naked in a new neighborhood and conveniently got lost...I now know why driveways have automatic lights
  2. Simultaneously proposed to two Canadian cousins at a wedding during a Journey song
  3. Serenaded my friend with Lisa Loeb - Stay at a dive cowboy bar (as if there's any other kind)

But something I realized today takes the cake.  I was trying to understand why last year I got a nice return (about $1000) and this year I owe that amount to the federals.

After my 4th cup of coffee I had an epiphany and checked the w4 I inked at the beginning of my new job.  I had somehow managed to claim 3 exemptions.  Remarkable considering I have no kids nor am I married, so I must have checked: single, single and one job and head of household.

Why would I say I qualify as head of household?  I do not know.  I'm guessing I was just skimming the paper and saw single/pays 50% or more for house and took that to mean hey I'm single and I pay all the rent for the apt I live in...Glossing over the part where you need to have a dependent


Cliffs Notes:
More exemptions = less money withheld = more money owed at tax time
Fewer exemptions = more money withheld = break even or get a return at tax time
You are allowed to put 0-1 exemption even if you qualify for more
I'm stupid and expect tax breaks as if I had a house and a dependent

Next step will be to figure out #exemptions/tax rate so I'll break even next year.

No comments: